How to Live Carefully Carefree

Mom,

I used to get SO ANGRY when we would go to the beach or go camping or on a hike, and you would say,

            "Mollie, wear a hat!" 

                    "Mollie, cover your head!"

            Why do I have to cover my head, I would think, as Lucy and Liam ran about, with their twinning bright blonde heads sticking out like a sore thumb, swaying in the wind, and reflecting the light of the sun.

Why me!!! It's not my fault that I got cancer and they didn't.

Well, you'll be happy to know though reluctant as I was, I still wear hats even when you're not around to see me. 

You were right. I'll never live a completely carefree life. Even when I come down with a common cold or what we call the "frat flu" at school, I'm used to my nurses and doctors jumping to conclusions about the state of my health because of my past with Leukemia.  

Though chemotherapy has its health drawbacks, the gratitude that I feel to be alive and well and capable of doing many of the things I want to do– like go backpacking, attend college, and go for epic runs along the beach– makes wearing a hat outside more of a micro inconvenience than the major burden that I used to think that it was.

I can still take risks and push my body to new limits– I just do so carefully

Besides, there are some pretty fashionable hats you can get out there anyways.

I want a Padres hat because the A's are moving! With no Warriors, no Raiders, and no Athletics, it's about time I decide to fully embrace the San Diego. 🤙🤙

As always, I love you!

From,

Mollie 

Comments

  1. Hi Mollie, This is so cool! I'm glad you are reading and responding to the blog! And, for what it's worth, we want all of you (and us) to wear hats and sunscreen. Do you remember the pink Red Sox hat with the pony tail attached? I think there's a picture of it somewhere on the blog... Love you Mollie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally Writing Back

LLS Scholarship Awardee!!